Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Feb 17th 2010

Hard to believe it's day 10 in the ICU for Mitch and that day 10 would be his worst day. They had a hard time waking Mitch up this morning -- his breathing was on the shallow end but he was able to breath by himself. This sleep mode has lasted all day long and into the night. The bad news for the day - we found out that his kidney's are not working and shutting down. They have run numerous tests on the kidneys and unfortunately it takes about 24 hours to get some of the results back. They performed an ultrasound on the kidneys, the structure and blood flow seem to be flowing and there are no obstructions. They are unsure why the kidneys are in the shut down mode. There is a key test to see how the kidneys are processing things within the body and a normal score is about .50, his has continued to increase all day long and is currently at a 4.3 which is very alarming and shows the kidneys are not working. This new kidney issue is unrelated to his reason for even being in the ICU, they are two separate issues. Needless to say it was a tough tough day on all of us.

17 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear it wasn't a good day at all for Mitch. Our prayers are still with him and your entire family. Our prayers are also with the doctors and nurses caring for Mitch. We pray that God will lead and guide them as they care for Mitch. Praying for peace during this difficult time for you all. God is good.

    Rachel (Pack) Whetten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So, so sorry to hear this! I have called the temple prayer roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Flygares,

    I am so sorry to hear all of the above news. For the life of me I can't figure out why they aren't able to get to the bottom of this. I so hope the tests will reveal something they can start making some reason of. We continue to pray for you. I know this has to be breaking your heart right now.... it's breaking mine. Love You All!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. Reading your blog this morning made me cry....I can't even imagine, well sort of I can, your frustration at this moment! Probably the reason for my tears. And the fact that this is happening to my very dear friends and I am helpless to help you. I know that it must feel like a roller coaster ride for you and I am sure you are eager to get off. Hang in there. There are so many offering prayers at this time in Mitchs behalf. I read a book once called "Making sense of Suffering" and in it was something that stuck with me. It said "Mortal suffering makes lasting improvements in the eternal self. It turns up the volume on God's voice to us, and it turns up the volume on our pleadings to him". I can assure you that the volume on everyones pleading to Heavenly Father in Mitchs behalf at this moment is probably pretty high. Know that I love you and I love Mitch. My thoughts and prayers are constant!

    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Frustrating! Our thoughts and prayers are with Mitch and you all. This is a defining moment for your family. Hang in there and hopefully all will be well.

    Drew and Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kurt and Annette,
    Our heart is aching for you!! And our prayers are with you and Mitch! We pray for the doctors as well that this mystery will be unlocked and they can get to the source of his problems.
    We wish there was something we could do for you. Just know you are in our thoughts and prayers! We hope that today will bring improvements for Mitch!
    Love
    Dave and Diane Wunderli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our Hearts and Prayers are with all of you! Hang in there Mitch, Annette and Kurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kurt, Annette, Mitch & Girls,
    We are all praying for you. You all have endless support from us in whatever you may need. We wish we could remove this trial from you. We know this is an incredibly trying time for all of you. Please know that the Lord is in charge and he is watching over Mitch. Keep the faith. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers as always. Hang in there. We love you. Hugs all around.

    John & Michelle Winger

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how trying this is for you guys. I hope and pray every day they are able to figure this out and relieve Mitch of this pain. It was such a bright spot for me the other day when I got to talk to Mitch. He is a great kid and I was saddened when that night he started to have spasms again. It breaks my heart. We love you guys and continue to pray all the time for you. Hang in there and we love you.
    Love, The Lundells

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are praying for you guys every day. You're not forgotten. We love you all and wish we could do more for you... but we know Mitch is in the Father's hands and that is the most we could ever ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of us are keeping Mitch in our prayers! I'm sorry to hear it's been a bad day. Please let us know if he needs or wants anything. Me and my friend (Courtney Cook and Kali stewart who came up on Tuesday night) would love to help with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The twists and turns this has taken--I can't imagine how exhausted you must be physically, mentally, and emotionally. We love you and Mitch and will keep sending our petitions up on your behalf.

    the Deeres

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mitch is in our wards prayers and we will continue to pray for him as a ward family. We are staying away from the hospital as requested but would like to help wherever we can. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

    Kirk Feller

    ReplyDelete
  14. We felt so bad after reading your last blog. We just can't believe Mitch is going through so much. And how difficult it must be on you as parents and siblings. We are so, so sorry for what you are all going through. Just want you to know that Mitch's name is mentioned in every prayer said in our home. We have all been very worried, but we know that Heavenly Father is watching over Mitch. He is a good kid. Keep the faith and we will continue to pray that the doctors will be able to figure out what is wrong. We think a lot of Mitch and want the best for him. We would love to come see him but understand the situation. Please send our love and concern. Take care and hang in there.
    Love the Barneys

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to hear about Mitch. I know so many kids are thinking about him, hoping he recovers. I miss seeing him in the halls of Lone Peak. Tell him to keep fighting.

    Coach Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! i am so sorry to hear about mitch!Orme's english class hasn't been the same without him! You're awesome Mitch! Keep hanging in there! I will definetley be praying for you, and the doctors!!
    - Ashlee Broadbent

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kurt and Annette,
    I am still sending love and strength your way every day. I have you and Mitch and the girls in my thoughts and prayers and am really hoping today was a better day than Wednesday. Hang in there and please let me know if there is anything at all we can do to help. I am just so terribly sorry about all of the pain and uncertainty. Please know that we are all with you.

    ReplyDelete