Sunday, February 28, 2010

Feb 28th - Evening

Well, not even sure how to begin this posting. The bright spot was his kidney number dropping again this morning (which was reported earlier) along with the real highlight of the day for Mitch - he was able to finally sit in a wheelchair which allowed him to go outside and take a breath of fresh air for the first time in 3 weeks. Which was so refreshing for him and provided a great deal of encouragement.

It went down hill from there, in fact, Mitch almost lost his life today. Mitch was mistakenly given 80 units of insulin within a 5 minute period. To put this in perspective, he usually has about 80 units of insulin over a period of 5 days and that is if he were eating a lot each day. His blood sugars dropped to 29 instantly and we could not get him awake, another code blue. His blood sugars continued to drop to super low levels over the next 3 hours, no matter how much food was forced into him, this includes a sugar IV. For those of you don't fully understand insulin and blood sugars words can't explain how serious this was and how truly close Mitch was from not being able to recover. And to have this happen in one of the best hospitals, and on top of that, in the ICU ward - is unreal. Of course to get his blood sugars up to normal levels and to counter act the massive amounts of insulin they/we had to force unbelievable amounts of carbs into him over a very short period of time - and he already had a bad stomach and was sick - this just made him even sicker and he spent the day throwing up. And then to top it off he started having spasms again. I cannot express the deep frustration and anger we all have over this episode. And then to have spasms on top of it all....it goes without saying the mental toll this has had on Mitch is devastating. I think he is actually handling it little better than Annette and I - as we hit our wall yesterday over all this and this just smashed us today. We knew before all this started 6 weeks ago that Mitch was a mentally tough kid, but to have a fighting spirit after all he has gone through and then to top it off with today's disaster - and to still have a semi fighting spirit - he is a true inspiration to us.

We thank all of you for the continued support you show Mitch and our family. Words can't express how much it keeps us going and how much it really means. Thanks

6 comments:

  1. As a father, I cannot read your posts without putting myself in your position. Neither my wife nor I can read your posts out loud because the words stick in our throats for emotion. Our son Alec is Mitch's friend. We are all inspired by Mitch, but you should know that you and your wife are also an inspiration to us. Our hearts are with you ALL.
    Glen and Kathy Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Flygare's,Mitch is our Gold Medalist! We will continue to pray and hope for the best! Did you happen to take any picturer of him outside before the bottom fell out.

    We Love You All,

    The Hunter's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know what to say to this post except "Oh my gosh." I am hoping that things will get turned back around today. ( Monday) I can't even imagine the emotional drain this is having on all of you. I hope you have some members of the church there who are giving you some moral support. Was the Bishop there ever contacted???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kurt, Annette, Kelsi, and Mitch,

    You are all in our prayers! Kurt, we have not met, but I'm with Weaver in Van Buren. The tribute that you put together, Kelsi, was so touching and I'm sure it gives courage to all! That helped us to know what a fine young man Mitch is and will continue to be!

    Mitch, from an Eagle Scout to maybe another (you wore a Life badge in the picture). We are brave and reverent. We are prepared. I can tell by the pictures that you live those and all of the points of the Scout Oath and Law. Be strong!

    Love and continued prayers,

    The Verslype Family, Fort Wayne IN

    Mike, Samantha, Sam, Henry, Anna, William, and Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette and Kurt, I feel inspired to send you an excerpt from a book I am reading called “Choosing Glory" by Lily de Hoyas Anderson.
    I hope this will bring you some peace. God is watching over you, in spite of and perhaps even through the mistakes of others.
    "A multitude of scriptures make it clear that some parts of the refining process are accomplished only through suffering. Elder Bruce C. Hafen tells of a poignant exchange with Elder Neal A. Maxwell, shortly after Elder Maxwell had been diagnosed with the leukemia that eventually took his life. Elder Maxwell, demonstrating his humble and contrite spirit, confided, “I should have seen it coming.” Why? Because ever since Okinawa, he had wanted to become a fully consecrated follower of Jesus, no matter what the price.
    There are many powerful examples before us of broken hearts and contrite spirits. Nevertheless, when our own hearts break, it is all too easy to feel betrayed and inclined to rebel against the unfairness of such deep pain. We protest, “But I’ve been good. Why is this happening to me?” At such times, we need to remember that even the best terrestrial life relies on “the arm of flesh.” Even if it is reliance on our own obedient arm. If we consistently live in the terrestrial realm, we often look for and find temporal safety in our own obedience and good works. Perhaps the most effective way our Heavenly Father can spur our movement to a more celestial level is by pulling the obedient-arm-of-flesh rug out from under our feet, allowing typical terrestrial rewards to fail. When we must face the fact that even diligent compliance with the commandments cannot guarantee temporal safety, if our spirits is contrite, we can grow to understand that our safety must not reside in our obedience and righteous works. Our safety must reside directly in the Father, in the Son, and in our hope of a glorious resurrection.”
    Remember that “He is building a mansion!”
    Love you all.
    Cindy Pack

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sobbed when I read your post today... Your family is constantly in our thoughts and prayers. The Savior's Atonement is real and you will need to rely on His tender mercies at this critical time. Please know how much we love and care for all of you.

    ReplyDelete